It’s that time of year – celebrations, decorations and, holidays probably top your list but it is also a time for reflection and a time to think beyond ourselves and think of others. Mindful of this I would like to begin my message by thanking the hard-working DANA Committee. Without their ongoing effort DANA would not exist. I would also like to reflect on some of the key achievements for 2017:
- The successful DANA ‘Endurance’ Forum, held in Sydney in August 2017. Rated the best ever!
- The annual Brisbane WOWS or ‘Walk on the Wildside’ one-day symposium, themed ‘Diversity’.
- Participation in the Coalition of National Nursing and Midwifery Organisations (CoNNMO).
- Membership of the Australasian Society for HIV Medicine (ASHM). As part of this membership, DANA has negotiated the inclusion of an Affiliate Program, which extends most of the benefits of ASHM membership to all DANA members at no extra individual cost.
- A signed Memorandum of Understanding between DANA and the Australian Association for Cognitive and Behaviour Therapy (AACBT). This creates benefits for DANA members through increased access to CBT related professional development opportunities and enhancement of evidence-based practice.
- Re-vitalisation of the DANA Scholarship Program. This year alone DANA has been able to provide financial support to twenty-three members for professional development activities.
- An amnesty of credentialling / advanced certification fees.
- Journal clubs in several chapters.
- Appointed a bookkeeper to ensure continued good governance.
- The launch of the DANA position statement on ‘E-Cigarettes’ and the revisions of DANA’s position statements dealing with ‘Problematic Substance Use by Nurses and Midwives’ and ‘Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder’.
In our first e-blast of 2018 I will provide a glimpse into the plans for 2018 (the DANA Committee is looking forward to providing even more significant benefits for DANA members).
Let me take this opportunity to wish you the very best for the Festive Season. Be happy and stay safe!
Darren Smyth is the President of DANA and Clinical Nurse Consultant Drug and Alcohol Northern NSW Local Health District, Australia.