Can you believe that it is the end of 2016? From a DANA perspective, what a year it has been! There have been lots of achievements and an enormous effort made by some amazing people. Let me reflect on some of them:
- The successful NSW Nurses’ Forum, ‘Resilience’, was held in Sydney in August. Registrations were at an all time high with delegates from New Zealand and across Australia.
- DANA was an organiser of the annual Brisbane WOWs or ‘Walk on the Wildside’ one-day symposium, themed ‘Superstition or Evidence’. Special thanks to Margo Hickman for her work on this. The 2017 program, themed ‘Diversity’, promises to be better than ever in celebration of the 10th year of WOWs.
- Interest in both the ACT and NT journal clubs has continued to grow.
- DANA was represented at several conferences in New Zealand and Australia:
- Cutting Edge
- DANA has continued to have a voice at a national level through participation in the Coalition of National Nursing and Midwifery Organisations (CoNNMO).
- Several scholarships have been awarded.
- Last but certainly not least, the way that DANA does business has changed through the re-structuring of the DANA Management Committee in order to improve services to members. A system of portfolio management and sub-committees has been introduced. One of their first tasks is re-developing the DANA Scholarship Program.
We rely on DANA’s social media to communicate with members in a timely way. Be sure to use it:
- Visit this website for information that is of Australasian interest. You can also advertise for staff, find all of DANA’s publications and much more.
- Follow DANA on Twitter @DANAnews1 for the latest information in the drug and alcohol world with special emphasis on Australasia (see the twitter feed on the home page of this website).
- Facebook is there for your comments. Access to the Facebook via the home page of this website.
- E-blasts are used to deliver messages to DANA members every month.
We look forward to providing more significant benefits for DANA members in in 2017, including the DANA National Conference which will be held in Sydney in August 2017 (watch this website for updates).
Let me take this opportunity to wish you the very best for the Festive Season. Be happy and stay safe!
Darren Smyth – DANA President