Registered Nurse, Medically Supervised Injecting Room
- Part-Time, Fixed-Term
- 0.6 EFT/22.8 hours per week preferred
North Richmond Community Health (NRCH) is committed to making healthcare more accessible and culturally relevant. With the recent addition of Victoria’s first Medically Supervised Injecting Room, NRCH works with community members to support social justice principles which afford all people the right to dignity, respect, and the highest quality of care.
NRCH provides a range of medical, allied health, dental and community services to clients from all backgrounds.
This is a unique opportunity to become a part of Victoria’s first Medically Supervised Injecting Room (MSIR) at North Richmond Victoria.
NRCH is seeking to employ a number of Registered Nurses.
This position is responsible for supervising clients before, during and after episodes of injecting. Core activities include client engagement, working with complex and challenging behaviours, health assessment, management of health emergencies, health education, brief interventions and referral to other health and welfare services.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Observe and monitor client’s wellbeing throughout their visit to MSIR, acting on client alerts and behavioural contracts as indicated.
- Provide client education around vein care, drug use, harm reduction strategies
- Engage with clients to identify health needs and refer to local health and welfare services
- Record all client observations and/or interactions on the relevant MSIR forms, clinical database and medical record.
- In collaboration with members of the healthcare team plan, implement and evaluate patient/client care.
- Follow the Nurse in Charge direction and assist as required during client emergencies
- Provide needle syringe (NS) equipment.
- Participate in needle/syringe retrievals and monitor the area around NRCH as required
- Provide outreach support and respond to overdoses in the surrounding area as directed
We are offering part time positions and we are looking for Registered Nurses with
- At least two years post graduate experience
- Experience working in needle and syringe programs, drug and alcohol services, crisis services, Emergency Department desirable
- Experience in psychosocial and drug use assessment and referral, supportive counselling and crisis management desirable
- Computer competence including the use of clinical databases
- Understanding of, and commitment to, Harm Reduction and Social Justice
- Understanding of the health, social and legal issues related to injecting drug use and marginalised populations
- AHPRA registration
- CPR Certificate with Oxygen Administration
- First Aid Certificate
To apply for this position, please forward your covering letter and resume to [email protected] including the subject line Registered Nurse, Medically Supervised Injecting Room Application.
The preferred candidate will be required to undergo a Police Check prior to any offer of employment being made and only successful candidates will be notified.