North Richmond Community Health is recruiting. These positions are available:
- RN – Medically Supervised Injecting Room
North Richmond Community Health (NRCH) is committed to making healthcare more accessible and culturally relevant. With the recent addition of Victoria’s first Medically Supervised Injecting Room, NRCH works with community members to support social justice principles which afford all people the right to dignity, respect, and the highest quality of care.
NRCH provides a range of medical, allied health, dental and community services to clients from all backgrounds.
The Registered Nurse Medically Supervised Injecting Room position (fixed-term part time) is responsible for supervising clients before, during and after episodes of injecting. Core activities include client engagement, working with complex and challenging behaviours, health assessment, management of health emergencies, health education, brief interventions and referral to other health and welfare services.
Roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Observe and monitor client’s wellbeing throughout their visit to MSIR, acting on client alerts and behavioural contracts as indicated.
- Provide client education around vein care, drug use, harm reduction strategies
- Engage with clients to identify health needs and refer to local health and welfare services
- Record all client observations and/or interactions on the relevant MSIR forms, clinical database and medical record.
- In collaboration with members of the healthcare team plan, implement and evaluate patient/client care.
- Follow the Nurse in Charge direction and assist as required during client emergencies
- Provide needle syringe (NS) equipment.
- Participate in needle/syringe retrievals and monitor the area around NRCH as required
- Provide outreach support and respond to overdoses in the surrounding area as directed
Key Selection Criteria
We are offering part time positions and we are looking for Registered Nurses with the following essential qualifications, attributes and skills include, but are not limited to:
- At least two years post graduate experience
- Experience working in needle and syringe programs, drug and alcohol services, crisis services, Emergency Department desirable
- Experience in psychosocial and drug use assessment and referral, supportive counselling and crisis management desirable
- Computer competence including the use of clinical databases
- Understanding of, and commitment to, Harm Reduction and Social Justice
- Understanding of the health, social and legal issues related to injecting drug use and marginalised populations
- AHPRA registration
- CPR Certificate with Oxygen Administration
- First Aid Certificate
The position description can be found at https://nrch.com.au/join-us-2-3/
Please note it is a requirement for all employees of North Richmond Community Health to demonstrate evidence of mandatory immunisations/vaccinations prior to commencement of employment, based on the Immunisation Category their position falls under.
All offers of employment are subject to provision of a satisfactory National Criminal History Check.
To apply for this position, please forward a cover letter which addresses the key selection criteria and your resume to [email protected] including the subject line [ Registered Nurse, Medically Supervised Injecting Room Application, by close of business on 31st October. Please note, only successful applicants will be contacted.
Please note that applications that do not address the Key Selection Criteria will not be reviewed.
- Senior Projects Officer
Find out more. Click HERE.