Dear Friends and Colleagues
2018 was a big DANA year! 2019 promises even more!
You spoke, and we listened
The DANA Committee met in Brisbane in November and reviewed the 115 responses to the recent DANA Satisfaction Survey. We learned a lot; what is working well, what you would like to see in the future and what we could do better. Every suggestion and every comment was carefully considered.
As a direct consequence of the survey, these are just some of the benefits to members that you can expect in 2019:
- Investing in knowledge with even more scholarships; especially with a view to encouraging newer graduates to take up tertiary AOD studies.
- Although there is strong support for Credentialling and Advanced Certification the pathway can be difficult to navigate. We will be working simplify the process and provide a greater level of support.
- Using the skills and expertise of experienced AOD nurses to connect with colleagues through the DANA Clinical Supervision and Mentoring Program.
- DANA will strengthen processes to provide AOD /Addiction nurses an increased opportunity for input into issues affecting nursing practice.
- Greater flexibility around membership renewals and payments options.
- An inaugural full-day Nurse Practitioner meeting in Sydney on the 15th August 2019.
Pushing the envelope
DANA is undertaking a major workforce research program. Our goal over the next two years is to ‘map’ the location of all AOD / Addiction nurses across Australia and New Zealand. The research is being steered by Dr Adam Searby; DANA’s Education and Training Portfolio Officer.
You can look forward to even more partnership arrangements with organisations that share similar values to DANA and serve the interests of DANA Members. Did you know that DANA Members are entitled to complimentary Associate Membership of ASHM? Have you activated yours? If not send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions on activating your membership.
DANA members will soon be asked to vote on an updated Constitution. This is important for several reasons, but in particular it will provide DANA with greater flexibility to meet the needs of members into the future. Watch your email in-boxes for an email from Margo Hickman, DANA’s Secretary. She will explain the changes and how to place your vote.
The DANA Conference: The Power of Connection
Catch up with friends and colleagues at the Sydney ‘Power of Connection’ conference in August. Keep watching the DANA website and reading the monthly e-blast for more information.
Let’s meet in Sydney at the DANA Conference.
Darren Smyth is the President of DANA and Nurse Practitioner, Drug and Alcohol.
image courtesy of https://unsplash.com/